Search This Blog

5/24/2011

Seed

 

  How I ever forgot I watched this movie will remain a mystery to me. Between the sadistic animal cruelty montage (all actual real life footage borrowed from PETA's archives) that opens the film and the mercilessly twisted and bloody pace that it keeps up through the films later half, I really can't figure out my oversight.

  Uwe Boll wrote and directed this borderline masterpiece which came as quite a surprise to me considering his history of making terrible films i.e.  House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, Alone in the Dark II, BloodRayne, BloodRayne II: Deliverance, and  In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale......all, in my opinion, worthless films (and yes I am admitting I've seen all of them). Now this one is not all great, the script at times is asinine with cops getting offed in the most obviously avoidable ways, but I'm just gonna set most of that aside because as a whole this movie really does shine. Well acted for the most part, and well cast with some recognizable faces. The story is not in any way original, just that of a mindlessly sadistic killer doing his thing until he's caught and executed (not very well obviously) at which point he returns to wreak his vengeance upon his captors/executioner, with a decent little ending sequence that wont be making our villian too many friends. It's just the next level achieved by the some of the other elements of this film that make it a winner.

  Now our villain in this one is fairly nondescript being a classic patchwork hood/mask wearing faceless monster of a man that we've all seen plenty before in slasher film after slasher film. The fear factor all boils down to the acts committed, headlined by a six plus minute scene in which he slowly caves in a woman's skull by taking multiple, just hard enough, swings at it with a small, blunt on one end, hatchet......ruthless scene that, even for me, was kind of hard to watch. The general gore is very well done and well placed throughout the film. There wasn't much to complain about at all where these things were concerned.

  So, for you weak stomached "teen scream" horror movie fans out there I would say maybe avoid this one. But if you think you've got the stomach for it......watch it already, it is gruesomely awesome.

7/10 detached retinas

No comments:

Post a Comment